Inspired by MacKenzie of Design Darling, I decided to make a list of 101 things I would like to accomplish in 1001 days. I am a very goal oriented person even when it comes to joyous activities like heading to the pumpkin patch or taking a vacation (and of course with the more serious aspects of my life like school and work). I believe in living intentionally. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the hustle & bustle of daily life and sort of allow life to just “happen” instead of going out there and creating the life you want. My list includes big goals and small ones, it includes things I’ve never done before and things I would like to do again. Some of the items on my list are a bit outside of my comfort zone and some are activities I would probably do anyways but want to make sure I make time for.
In the past I created a 30 Before 30 List but had trouble sticking to it because all of the goals felt SO BIG, uncontrollable or so far away from becoming a possibility. For the most part I tried to keep the items on this list “bite sized” and within my control. A few goals like “attend a wedding” are a bit outside of my control (as it requires someone I know getting engaged and thus inviting me to a wedding) but for the most part I tried to base most of goals on variables that don’t require other people’s major life decisions. I also tried to keep in mind where my life will be over the next 2.7 years- I will be in law school which of course determines how much money I’ll be making (not much), my ability to travel, my professional goals, etc.
As one of my 101 I committed to printing out this list and hanging it somewhere where I can see it daily. I know for a fact I am more likely to achieve my goals when they’re right there in front of me. If you create a 101 in 1001 list I would love to read it!
Start Date: October 19th, 2017
End Date: July 16th, 2020
My 101 in 1001 Goals:
- Improve my credit score
- Run a race further than 13.1 miles.
- Develop a strength routine with a personal trainer.
- Read 20 books for fun (0/20)
- Take Ski Lessons
- Take 3 new Workout Classes (0/3)
- Take a Cooking Class
- Take Tennis Lessons
- Establish one day a week to go “social media & email” free for 6 months
- Meet with a therapist
- Do something that terrifies me
- Make Coffee at home for an entire month (eek)!
- Donate over $100 to 3 Charities I believe in. (0/3)
- Volunteer at least 10 hours for a cause I believe in. (0/10)
- Give up alcohol for a month.
- Reconnect with someone I’ve fallen out of touch with.
- Get two summer internships in the legal field (0/2)
- Meet up with 5 different attorneys for coffee/networking (0/5)
- Build a professional wardrobe
- Have pieces of said professional wardrobe properly tailored
- Revamp my Resume
- Revamp my LinkedIn Page
- Participate in a Mock Interview(s)
- Read 2 new books on professional development (0/2)
- Join Seattle’s Junior League or another Professional Organization
- Meet with the Center for Professional Development to learn about networking opportunities.
- Stay at the top 25% of my class.
- Write for a Law Review Journal.
- Meet with each of my professors at least once for one semester.
- Study abroad with the Madrid Program.
- Write “Thank you” emails to my favorite professors at the end of the semester.
- Find an organization to become involved in & serve on the board.
- Rebrand & Redesign The Fairy Princess Diaries
- Go through past posts & “clean up” my archives
- Start a Series
- Work with 3 new photographers (0/3)
- Post an apartment tour
- Streamline my Social Media
- Meet up with a Blog Friend I haven’t met before
- Finally hang all of my pictures in our apartment.
- Get Shelves for Organizing.
- Buy a plant (and keep it alive).
- Declutter by selling or donating my old homecoming and prom dresses.
- Buy a new Couch
Family & Friends:
- Visit my friend Nicole in Los Angeles
- Rollerblade with my Uncle
- Visit my friend Laura in Omaha
- Visit my cousin Genevieve in Calgary
- Visit Jordan’s cousins in Cozumel or London
- Create a photo book for Jordan & I for each year (2017, 2018)
- Stay overnight at Safari West with my little brother and sister.
- Take my little brother and sister to Disneyland.
- Run a race with my Aunt (0/1)
- Surprise my parents (0/2)
- Get professional photos taken of my younger siblings.
- Help Jordan organize/get rid of our storage unit
- Write 50 letters (0/50)
- Give 5 “Just Because” Gifts (0/5)
- Compile my childhood photos & memories into one album
- Attend a wedding.
- Have a dinner party with friends from Law School.
- Run a 5k with a friend.
- Check 2 new countries off my “must travel” list (0/2)
- Travel Abroad with Jordan
- Visit a city in the South
- Continue our Easter tradition of spending the holiday at the beach
- Take a trip for a law school club, internship or conference
- Visit Palm Springs
- Visit Big Sur
- Visit my family in Calistoga, California
- See Taylor Swift’s Reputation tour
- Fill up my current journal
- Go to the Nutcracker
- Go Horseback Riding
- Attend a Formal Gala
- Send surprise flowers to someone
- Give a toast at a party
- Go Vegan for a week
- Attend a ballet other than the Nutcracker
- Have a Halloween Party
- Have a “Day of Beauty” head-to-toe spa day
- Go on 5 “new to me” hikes (0/5)
- Print my 101 in 1001 list and hang it somewhere where I can see it
- Have a Christmas Tree in my Apartment
- Complete a 30 Day Squat Challenge
- Go Ice Skating
- Ring in the New Year with people I Love
- Host a Brunch Party
- Go Snowshoeing
- Have a Boat Day
- Go to a “Goat Yoga” Class
- Ride a Ferris Wheel & Kiss Jordan at the top!
- Watch the sunrise with someone I love.
- Learn to cook homemade pho!
- Learn to cook homemade pad thai!
- Relearn to do a back walkover.
- Go to a flower festival
- Make Valentine’s Day Cards
- Dance as confetti falls!
- Attend a religious service of a religion I’ve never been to before.
Hopefully by referring back to this list when I make my monthly goals and incorporating a few here and there I will be able to get through most of my 101 list! Do you have any tips for achieving long term goals?
All photos taken by Madeleine Wilson, check out her photography.